Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Saturday, May 23, 2015

MEMORIAL DAY MENU & THOUGHTS

Thank you to all our veterans, including my Dad and several other family members and friends, who have served and are currently serving our country- we are humbled by and grateful for your dedication and sacrifice. And thank you to your families, who have experienced sacrifice beyond what most of us can comprehend.

I have so many wonderful memories of family get-togethers, BBQ's, backyard parties and hours-long volleyball or badminton games with cousins...and fabulous food. We don't have big parties like that anymore, now that we've grown up and have our own families and in-laws, and I really miss them. I'll be honest here, there is some favoritism among grandchildren going on inside our family and it is the most excruciating thing I've had to deal with, and it's difficult to muster the desire to go party with the people who are hurting your babies (and us). I have one sibling, an older brother who has never much cared for me, and he ignores our parents for the most part as well, so that's that. Sorry. I feel like I should be apologizing- this was supposed to be a fun post on party food, that's all! I'm simply being brutally honest here. Life is such a beautiful gift but it is not without complications, that's for sure. Well, anyhoo. Whatever we do, we will think of those who have sacrificed, and there will be fun and laughter and sparklers and plenty of good eating.

We prepare traditional barbeque fare, steak tips to hot dogs and sausages and marinated chicken, and there's always potato salad or pasta salad. My mother always bring a huge dish of jello pretzel salad- yum!

Nothing says Bring on Summer! quite like a jello poke cake. Super easy and super yummy! Usually I make this for 4th of July, but I'm changing things up this year.

I'm also making these...but with red, white and blue sprinkles. Sorry, no photo yet, but I'm sure you can imagine.  =)

It's nice to have something light and green amid the heavier, richer foods. This salad is fabulous, and there's a recipe for homemade vinaigrette dressing, too.

These are so good, so easy, and look so festive served up on a simple plate.

It's tradition for us to have this Overnight French Toast sometime during the (any!) holiday weekend. Yay for tradition! This is my favorite! You can add sliced strawberries and top with whipped cream to make it look really festive as well.
Overnight French Toast Bake with Blueberries

These last photos just make me happy to look at and remember.
 

Ach. I feel like an emotional wreck I have gotten so off track lately. I have the same twenty-four hours everyone else does, but lately mine feel stagnant and burdened rather than joyful and hopeful. I think it's priorities. And being in tuned with God's Word, which I haven't been. And the real kicker? I just can't seem to make myself. Does that sound awful? It's as simple, really, as opening up a book- The Book- and I can't will myself to do it on a regular basis. My prayer life has taken somewhat of a downward spiral as well, if I'm being honest, and believe me, these are the days when I need guidance and direction and just plain connection/communion with God more than ever. Life is messy, relationships are challenging, parenthood...do I even need to?

Well now you know that I'm just a mess. I may be a little sad or even discouraged, but I'm extremely thankful. For all of it, this. I posted something on IG the other day about life being short and intending to make the most of the days I'm given- the choice is mine, it really is. Have a wonderful weekend.

PS: There's a sale going on at Rose & Ruffle. Details in the shop. Feel free to spread the word...thank you!




sharing with:
Sew Many Ways

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...