Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Monday, May 5, 2014

Cinco de Mayo: Easy Chicken Quesadillas

I really cannot believe that we're already into May this year! I need everything to just slooooow down a little. Anyhoo. Way back when I was a college student and contemplating living abroad in Spain for an entire year, the one thing that always brought my plans to a screeching halt pause was this: the prospect of eating nothing but spicy food. I've never been a fan of spicy food, Tex-Mex or other- it just never agrees with me. Sad, right? Well, come to find out that my fears were unfounded, Spanish cuisine is not spicy, and I loved the food. And now, even spicier fare is growing on me. A little. ;)

This quick and easy Chicken Quesadilla has become a staple in our dinner rotation, so I thought I'd share it in honor of Cinco de Mayo today. Enjoy! 

You'll Need:
package of burrito-sized tortillas
jar of salsa
mayo
1 boiled or cooked chicken breast, shredded or diced
1 bag "pizza blend" shredded cheese
 sour cream, optional

You can bake these in the oven or brown them in a frying pan on the stove top.

Or do both, like I do, because I've got lots of hungry people after me, people. =)


I use the smaller burritto size tortilla in order to fit 2 nicely on the cookie pan, but you can use whatever size you want. Next, lightly coat one tortilla with mayo, sprinkle on some shredded cheese (enough to cover the tortilla), add the chicken, salsa (I use mild...of course!), and add more shredded cheese on top of the salsa. The cheese on top and bottom help keep the quesadilla together when it melts, which makes it much easier to turn over/flip.

Once the cheese is added, place the second tortilla on top. Bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes or until browned; Carefully flip the quesadilla over to brown on the other side. You can also cook these in a frying pan on medium heat, flipping once when ready. (You don't need to spray the pan.)

They are quick and easy, and fantastic!

We serve them hot with a dollop of sour cream, but they taste great cold, too.

If you prefer more heat, use a medium or hot salsa. You can also toss in some black olives, beans...whatever you like! Happy eating!

We'll be having these scrumptious Homemade Brownies with Cream Cheese Topping for dessert. IF there's any left by the time dinner rolls around...


And if you're looking for lunches that go beyond PB&J, I've got you covered. Click here for the post.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...