Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Best Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

Another week is flying by, and I've learned something important: I cannot be trusted with Halloween candy.

Like, ever.

E-ver.

Okay, so I think I've always known this, but yesterday was a good reminder. Sorry, kids. Mom fail.

I may have needed that extra sugar to tidy some things up for my Etsy shop...it does always get worse before it gets better, right? And speaking of Etsy shops, I even managed to sneak in a little photo shoot with Caleb, which was so much fun! (I highlighted that on my facebook page if you want to sneak a peek!)

So onto the pancakes...
Until recently, I had never made buttermilk pancakes. Or made anything with buttermilk, really. I think I was slightly intimidated, but I shouldn't have been! There are no strange complications, and they are delicious!



Okay, so truth be told, the frozen blueberries had already thawed by the time I got the first three off to school and got back to make Ethan's pancakes (he is still easing back into school days because of his concussion), so the batter was purple. Thus, grey-ish pancakes. Otherwise, they'd be a lovely golden brown.  =)




Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
2 cups {unbleached} flour
3 Tbsp cornmeal
2 scant Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp+ ground cinnamon
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups fresh buttermilk* + 1/2 cup whole or 2% milk
3-4 Tbsp oil
1-2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Mix together dry ingredients; add the liquids and stir until batter is moistened; then gently fold in blueberries. We cook our pancakes on a griddle or pan with oil on medium heat.

I was worried about the cornmeal adding too much crunch to the pancake, but it adds just the right amount of, well, something good! They're light, but they're incredibly rich and filling, too.
I altered the original recipe from my BH&G trusty cookbook, doubling it as well. Depending on the size of your pancake, it should yield about 15-18. Because of the alterations, I would not recommend trying to "half" this recipe. Unless you're a culinary daredevil, and then I say, go for it!  ;)

*You can also use sour milk if you don't have buttermilk. You can make 1 cup of sour milk like this: place 1 Tbsp either lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup and add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid; let sit for 5 minutes before using. (Adjust amounts for 2 cups or more.)



Well, it's the next day now...I didn't quite manage to get this post finished yesterday, but I did get to hold a 2-month-old baby girl in the nursery all night last night!  =)

Caleb was tossing and turning moments ago, and in the past, I might have gotten annoyed. So worried that I'd have to stop what I was doing, as if that could be so important. Today my heart chose right. Iron unplugged, flannel gently folded, all that can wait. I tiptoed upstairs into his room, and he asked me to spend a few minutes with him (we had a lovely mini-conversation about hover crafts, air force piloting, and how he will ever choose which branch of the military to join) because he isn't feeling so great. Just him and me, side by side, early morning declarations of love whispered low between us.

One day I will wake up, and these children of ours won't be here. And I will long for more time to have cuddled and held hands and whispered low in the dark.

Okay, now I'm late...I'm thinking it's a cereal kind of morning for us!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...